Little known VAMPIRA facts...
- The actress who played Vampira was Maila Nurmi.
- Vampira hosted a horror tv show for KABC-TV in 1954.
- She owned a boutique in Hollywood.
- Maila sued Cassandra Peterson for stealing her persona... do you know who Cassandra is?
- Was fired by Mae West from the cast of West's 1944 Broadway play "Catherine Was Great," because West feared she was being upstaged.
- The idea for the Vampira character was born in 1953 at Lester Horton's annual "Bal Caribe" Masquerade in Hollywood at which Nurmi wore a costume based on the ghoul woman in Charles Addams' New Yorker cartoon strip.
- At the same time Vampira was hosting her weekly fright fest of monster & horror movies, "Zacherley," an East coast counterpart was running amok on late night television in 1950s New York City.
- Born on December 21st, 1921, Maila died in her sleep on January 10, 2008, at the age of 86.
Congratulations! You found one of many easter eggs scattered
throughout the site! Pssstt... don't tell anyone! Our little secret!